For starters, where in this part of the country am I gonna find a palm tree to put in my living room? If I find one, what is it really gonna look like... then... how much is it gonna set me back?
Then, I listen to stories of Christmas tree traditions - especially those who are brave enough to bring a real pine tree into their homes. And it's so ... nostalgic ... like, wow, that sounds really cool.
On my way to the kids' school one day this week, I see a sign that reads, "Christmas Trees, $20, cut your own". That's just the adventure I'm looking for! I imagine myself wandering happily over the hillside with my husband and children, looking for just the right tree. :) Again... hmmm... what WAS I thinking?
Actually, it almost turned out as I imagined. The 15-year-old made sure the car didn't run off down the hill (not that it needed any help really). The other three and I did wander happily across the hillside and picked out a couple possibilities before Arlen arrived and joined us. (He came straight from work so we could do our wandering and choosing with some daylight to see where we were going.) Ty bounded from little tree to little tree... some trees were as cute as he... 'Can we take this one, Mom?' 'How 'bout this one, Mom?
Tyrell wanted to be the first one to run the saw. His daddy helped him. Then it was Cordell's turn. Said 15-year-old was still in the van, keeping warm ... his sister had joined him since she wasn't feeling 100% today.
He was so proud of himself when that thing fell. I was proud of him too, but slightly saddened for the tree, actually.
Super Hero Dad put that tree on his shoulder and walked it all the way back to the van.
Then we had to figure out how to take it home! Would it fit in the van?! Guess we shoulda thought about that BEFORE we cut it down, don't you think?! Ha!
My fears weren't founded... there was plenty of room in there.
The moon was rising by the time we got it home...
We'll wait til another day to add ornaments... for today, it's in the house and has lights on it. Ty was doing something else while I strung the lights. When I brought him in to look at the lighted tree, he just stood there in awe - then walked up to as if to give it a hug - then softly, he said, "It's beautiful, Mom, it's beautiful."
No comments:
Post a Comment