"Go and make disciples..."
One of the most rewarding experiences that Arlen and I have experienced in our 14 years of ministry in Guatemala was a 13-week marriage course we taught last year. It was based on a manual produced by the Nehemiah Center in Nicaragua called "Restoring the Original Model". We continue to see the results...
Peter (to protect his privacy, this is not his real name) has been telling us his story since the first week of the course (July '09), when he compared what was happening in his marriage to a pressure cooker. He said it felt like somebody had removed the lid, the tension was gone, and he and his wife of about 14 years were learning how to communicate freely, with love and respect.
At the end of the course, we did a celebration evening for the couples who had completed the course -- a formal candlelight dinner followed by the movie, "Fireproof", and, of course, handing out 'diplomas' to those who faithfully attended and completed the course.
Peter was telling a friend about the course and the final celebration night and how wonderful it was. His friend commented, "It's really too bad," he said. "Things will just go back to how they were before now that it's over..."
Peter's response was emphatic, "Never! I don't EVER want to go back there. We are different, we are changed!"
We held the courses in two different churches last year. Peter and his wife joined one of the groups, even tho' it was not held in the church they regularly attend. His pastor has now invited us to do the course in their church. We will be start it next month.
Another testimony that we have shared with many is about a long-time 'Christian'. He was ex-military official, a pistol-toting, abusive womanizer. They were separated (he lived on the ranch and she lived in town with her grown kids, raising the grandkids). She called him and told him about the course and wondered if he would attend with her. They came the first week and never missed a week. Half way thru the course, he rededicated his life to Christ. He shared with the group, "All these years, I've been told that I was to lead a Christ-like life, have a Christ-centered home. I never knew what that was supposed to look like. Now, I'm starting to see what that really means."
"Go and make disciples..."
And now, I've got to go and make breakfast for my little disciples... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment